Thursday, August 6, 2009

A purpose has been found

Alright, so I've traveled to this place a number of times since its creation, only to realize I had no idea where to begin and what to write. I wanted and needed a purpose to make a reason for coming here to update this blog. After weeks of my brain pretending it was dead - always at its worst when on the topic of 'potential purpose for blog' - it finally perked up.

A goal of mine has long been to be more organized, neat, and tidy in my living space. I firmly believe I would be a calmer, more relaxed person this way. An added benefit is it would shock the pants off my husband, who is far more organized than myself. I must confess I managed to do this my senior year of college (when I met my husband, actually). I lived in the tiniest room you can imagine and maintained its spotlessness for a full 9 months, as anything out of place - even a rubberband - made the room feel cluttered and messy. It felt great to keep my living space that clean! And my husband (mistakenly) thought I was the neat, tidy, organized person I happened to be for nine months, all the time. Ha! Joke's on him. :) But I feel if I did it once, I can do it again.

Now, I also feel the need to point out here that I am a neat freak when it comes to my work space. I absolutely cannot function if my desk is not organized and de-cluttered. Which makes me wonder why this doesn't drive me bonkers in my living space...but it doesn't. At least, not until it gets really, really bad.

All of this, plus reading Real Simple's Solutions tonight, led me to my proposed 'purpose' for this blog. I think the living spaces seen in magazines like Real Simple are so...sexy, amazing, clean, perfect. Every time I see pictures of them, I think to myself, 'I'd l.o.v.e. to live in a house that clean, tidy, organized, etc, etc, etc.' So, I intend to see if it is possible to get a house to that point of organized, neat, and tidy, and then if it's feasible to maintain said standards over an extended period of time. Will it be easy to get our home that standard? How will it make me feel once I get there? Will sustaining that level of organization and tidiness increase happiness and decrease stress, or will it drive myself and Husband bonkers? At the moment, I have no idea, but I intend to find out and document the process. My hope is, at the very least, this will get me off my pathetically lazy summer bum (as of late) and help keep me accountable.

Pictures and stories will start tomorrow. Uff-dah!

~Ms. S

No comments:

Post a Comment